Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Electrical part deux




















I have been to Fisheries Supply twice. (Actually a record for hardware store runs during a project) and I have bought some wire, some connectors and some assorted other bits and bobs and I have added a new leg off the mains to the 25 amp bank of switches... and... IT WORKS!

I would like to think the Academy, my mother and father, my wife who put up with all of this crazyness over all of these years... Oh you know the drill...

Anyway, the newly assembled controll panel looks the same as it did with one more wire instead of many less. I was thinking of rewiring the whole thing to make the plan simpler and therefore much easier to figure out faults but I will have to wait and do that another day. One thing I did find out is that marine electrical parts are expensive. They are, in fact VERY expensive. I really don't want to be spending too much more money fixing things for a while.

As I live on a boat this is a very funny joke I like to tell myself. Things on boats are either broken or just about to break. There is no other state. They ever enjoy years of trouble free service, never last beyond their warranty (well actually, they last a month after it ends..) and they never can be seen as permanent. This assures me that I will have projects aplenty for all of my days. I am very happy with this scenario...

Such is my curse and my joy.

2 comments:

  1. I am VERY impressed! Congrats on your electrical succes!

    As to your observations about things on boats being broken or about to break...we call that the "one more voyage" philosophy. And like all good ship owners you aren't daunted...that's the key!

    Happy Sailing, Mr. and Mrs. Captain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, Don't you study shipWRECKS? I should probably not take that "One more voyage" if it really is broken eh?

    :-)

    T

    ReplyDelete