Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Dishes etc.

Sometimes it is the little things that can tell you the most about how you will react to living aboard a boat. Carrie is used to it. Tiny spaces are like old home to her. She thrives there. I am happy in them but my use of them is not as natural. Case in point. Dishes.

Both Carrie and I do the dishes on the SV Clarion. I do them when I am in the galley, She does them often when I cook, which is often.

When I do the dishes I do them in a way that is familiar to me from having a bigger space. I put everything in the sinks and clean in small batches to clear space in the drying sink for the clean items. When there is a lot of stuff to clean, I can get pretty buried.

Carrie, on the other hand, uses all of the space in the galley. The companionway steps included. I would never have thought of this. It keeps the counters clean for drying excess and allows more storage of the dirty stuff. her way is clearly better.

These are the differences that make a job easier on a boat. They are small but they are powerful.

I am happy to have such a good teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment