Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Heaters and the dead of night...

It has been said that if something is going to go wrong it will happen at the least opportune time. That was very true this evening when I found out my Webasto heater was malfunctioning. As you can imagine I tried the few things I knew how to do to get it running wich basically consisted of switching it on and off repeatedly.

No joy.

Then it was time for the heavy lifting. You see the Webasto is built by germans. Angry germans. Germans with very poor copier and drawing reproduction technology... (Interesting for a country that gave us the printing press and most of the advancements in printing and ink since the 1500s) The manual was difficult to say the least to read. Diagrams all looked like blobs of ink with no defined edges or easily observable parts. It was very confusing. I spent the better part of two hours trying to guess where the safety switch might be and then found out that it was bolted to the bottom of the unit between the housing and the mounting plate.

Nope. That's not it.

THe temperature limiter was the answer! All I had to do now was locate that.... It took a bunch of fiddling around but in the end I was able to get the thing lit and heat, glorius heat once again began to flow through the pipes! I had done the improbable. I had fixed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment